Wednesday, August 13, 2008

That's how I Roll!!

So, being in a wheelchair is really quite a trip. Now, I'm not paralyzed, but I use a chair because I have form of Muscular Dystrophy. My balance is incredibly bad and my muscles are not real strong. I can get up and walk with a persons assistance or with crutches. So, my abilities are not as severe as some but I spend 99% of my day in a chair and do experience much of the same kinds of obstacles and ignorance. 
I could write a book on the shit people say to me. Like...... you're to cute to be in that chair.          ( Are people in chairs supposed to be ugly?), What's wrong with you!?, You wanna race? (I haven't heard that before!!), I know how you feel, I broke my leg once and was in a wheelchair. (Oh, really??).
I can be right next to my husband, and have had several people speak softly at him and ask what's wrong with me or ask him what I want. Hello! being in a chair doesn't mean you can't hear or think for yourself. Anyways, instances such as this are very common in my life and I don't know if I'll ever get used to it. I do know I've toughen up over time. I also have learned to make up stories when asked abruptly "What's wrong with you"? These days I come back with I was in a skydiving accident, or I fell off a horse, or something of that nature. I do that because people don't want to know I have a form of Muscular Dystrophy called Freidreich's Ataxia. They get so excited if you're in an accident, rather than all pitiful when you tell them what's really wrong. In all reality they don't need to know what's really wrong, it's all about nosiness and curiosity.
I'm not complaining, actually several years ago I would have been. Now, I pretty much find it amusing how people act.

No comments: