Saturday, December 3, 2011

Time to veg

2 weeks 4-5 hours a day at the hospital and then this week 12-14 hours a day taking care of my mom at home. I'm both mentally and physically drained. Not complaining, because it's been an honor to be there for her, but I'm just spent. It's been divided between my sis and I and she just had knee replacement also 8 weeks ago. She also has Rheumatoid Arthritis and has Muscular Dystrophy like me. She uses a electric scooter and I have been using both my wheelchair and my scooter. I have been taking on the majority of work and my body is paying for it. I've spent every night at moms house and between physical therapy I'm doing with her, dealing with her pain levels, keeping the house clean, laundry, meals, making sure she is safe, getting her on and off the CPM machine (leg bending machine), putting leg brace on at night..........wheeeew. I give caretakers a lot of credit. Just the emotional tole of seeing my mom in pain is a lot. I'm a wuss when it come to that.
I am home today for a little bit and refreshed myself and felt like blogging a bit. We did go to a student art sale at the college and little flea market. We also hit a small Christmas festival in our downtown area and at the very end of that on the way back to our car I hit a rut by the curb cut out with the front wheels of my chair and got chucked out. My left knee and left elbow took the brunt of the concrete. My stiff back is now a bit stiffer, so now I sit on the couch at home trying to get my body rested and ready to back to moms in a little while.
Scary when pretty much all you have is pitiful me taking care of you. Shit.

Okay good bitch a moan session. I'm numb.
Maybe someday I'll get my sexy back? Who knows?? I miss it.

4 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry you've been so overworked. But it just speaks to the kind of wonderful woman you are, though. You are such a caring, giving daughter and sister.

I'm SO sorry you took a tumble. It made me cringe just to read that you fell. I hope your knee and elbow are feeling better. Get some rest!

Caryn F. said...

Caring for other people in need is always a difficult job, and when it's a loved one it can be doubly so. An important thing to remember though, is to take time for yourself. It can be difficult to think of taking time off when a loved one needs your care and support, but you have to remember that if you burn out, you'll be no use to them. So take time to relax and take care of yourself! You'll be better able to help your mother if you're well rested. Take care, and I hope that everyone has speedy recoveries!

GarryN said...

Hope things ease up for you soon LaRoo and the knee/elbow get better.
Should go and blast the council for leaving potholes like that.
Might help make you feel better.

La Roo said...

Thnaks for all the sweet comments you guys. My knee and elbow are fine now. I'm going to try to make it to the chiropractor today and get my bod back into shape.
I was just so already overwhelmed and when I flew out of my chair I just felt like "what else"? Life happens like that, at least for me it does. I have had more time away from the situation, but even at home my mind is still with my mom and worrying if she's ok. I know that will subside over time. Maybe?
Gaz, it wasn't a pot hole. Just a rut or joint in between the concrete and my wheel caught into it. The front wheels of my chair are rollerblade wheels so they are small. I usually pop my front wheels up over everything, but this one I just missed. It would be great if the world was completely smooth and made of Nerf.
Thanks everyone for being there.