Monday, December 22, 2008

When Opportunity Knocks


It's been a while since I last blogged and there is a good tiring reason. There was a magic carpet that came our way, and we have jumped on for the ride. We don't know how long the ride will last or where it will take us but it has been quite the journey so far.
An opportunity was given to us to open an art gallery in a pretty great location. We've opened it with 6 other artists, it's really just a grassroots operation. It has taken a lot of blood sweat and tears the last few weeks to get it up and running before the holidays were over. We have started a business, got licenses, painted, organized, marketed, cleaned, gathered things needed for the gallery, got lighting properly in it's place, set up a payment process, hung and priced art work, scheduled each artist for there sitting time at the gallery and organized a grand opening that went amazingly well. All that, in less than 3 weeks.
This wasn't something that was planned and therefore didn't have time to get new paintings ready. I do have six pieces hanging now, and am working on a couple more.
I haven't worked in god knows how many years and now we are part owners of an art gallery and I'm working 3-4 days a week. To top it all off, I get to paint at work....how much better does it get? Plus this is something that my husband and I have helped create together which is really special to me. I could have never predicted something of this nature to ever come my way and I'm just going with it. This is also a huge learning experience on how some people are leaders and some are followers. We have been leaders and it's been interesting, but we wanted this so bad we weren't  about to let it slip through our hands. So, we had to step up and do what others weren't and won't probably do. For now I don't really care, that might change later. :)
The big cloud that that looms over us in this shinning moment is the economy, in which also is the reason for the opportunity we have been given. Therefore, that is why we don't know how long all of this is going to last. We did not want to look back later in life and say, "why didn't we try that"?
Now that the major stress is behind us, I believe I will be able to post more. I really miss keeping in touch with everyone. Thanks for not giving up on me.

Merry Christmas to you all.


10 comments:

C said...

whatta wonderful christmas present to give yourselves! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
you deserve it. and YES, when opportunity knocks, answer the frikkin door.
;)

C

Bob said...

Wow, whatta great thing! It isn't every day that we get to see someone realize their dreams. This is absolutely wonderful. Do you plan on creating a website for the gallery so that we can (a) see what's for sale and (b) enable us to buy something? Just a thought.

Merry Christmas to you and hubby. And 2009 sounds like it is going to be your year, Laroo.

Richard said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours.

An Artist Exposed said...

I'm really pleased that you seized the opportunity. Have a happy Christmas, you sexy, talented woman! XX

Anonymous said...

La Roo I wish you and your Family a very merry Christmas and a safe and spectacular new year .
Having started my own business 4 years ago I know how rough and rocky it can get so hang in kiddo I know you can do it,i will send you some of my wifes works she is a bit of an artist as well but hasn't painted now for over 2 years.
Anyway Merry Christmas LaRoo

Paulene Angela said...

I dropped by to wish you a super Christmas Season and I see lots of wonderful things are happening for you and your hubby, I am delighted. Will call by again in 2009 to see how things are going, hopefully you will have time to continue blogging!. I too plan to get my own business moving early 2009, so it will be crazy this end too. I was in Malaga City yesterday pm to see the wonderful Christmas lights http://www.tvspain.tv/video_details.php?id=175. Also happy to report that Malaga is gearing the city to be wheelchair friendly.
All the best for 2009, Paulene

asfjh said...

woow that is super-amazing!! :D :D i hope the next year will bring me something like it.. it is SO nice to be caught up in something meaningfull !!! keep it up!! and take pictures so i can have a look at your exhibition!

Jake lara said...

Merry Christmas, happy new year and I Hope your gallery's a success.

Bear / Oso said...

What you're doing is wnderlful and I'm sure it will last a long time. Keep up the good work and the good pictures, come visit my blog when you have some time, I think you'll like some of the things I'v posted, I've found several blogs of some great digital artists.

Happy new year for you and your husband, I'm sure you'll have a great year.

A Bear hug.

Anonymous said...

Wow, how exciting, I wish you every success. One of my many goals is to run a gallery so I would love to hear more about how it all goes for you! x